My Mid-Calf Love Affair with Michael Kors’ Shoes…

14 May

It could be a lot worse, I tell my financially conscious husband.  A fifty thousand dollar fully loaded BMW (which he owns) or an even pricier Porsche Carrerra.  Maybe thousands of dollars worth of face and chest work.  In the LA friendly mountain town where I live I have run into an unfortunate Hollywood actress whose brow appears as hard and indestructible as military armor and let’s get real, some women just don’t know which consonant to stop at when it comes to forever faking their breast size.  C or D, ladies.  C or D.

But what I have on is something that’s aesthetically pleasing, temporary too.  They strap on lightly at the ankle and have much finer measurements.  1 1/2 stacked from the toe and four inches at the heel.  Smooth vachetta leather.  They even come in the color cognac.  I also own a black pair too that I bought at Mr. Kors’ well-lit signature store in Manhattan.  The sales woman was diligent enough to call downstairs and double check just in case they actually had my size, the most popular size that everyone else on the floor reassured her they were sold out of.  She must’ve recognized that look on my face for this Southern California native will never be a tourist, at least not when it comes to a MK store.

My husband thinks I wear Michael Kors heels because they elongate my legs or enhance the shape of my bare calf and, I don’t know, maybe I do.  But I also wear them with jeans.  I wear them to the grocery store and to the post office.  Sometimes to the movies or out to yogurt with him.  At a recent book event another female writer whispered to me during a reading,  “Sorry I keep staring, but your shoes are fantastic!”  I nod with all seriousness, with the faintest of smiles as if she’s referring to the deeply moving prose of the author reading his work at the podium.

And on that trip to New York, I return to my hotel room with my recent pair of platform sandals and I put them on for my friend, my girlfriend who doesn’t wear heels.  But she asks me to take a turn in them because she’s surprised I move so easily and sturdily, and we laugh as girlfriends do who get ready together to go out at night or stay in with take-out pizza, watch a bad movie on Netflix or talk for hours over glasses of Merlot.  We are at an age where confidence becomes us, it defines us.  Whether or not we dare to stand tall in platforms or down with the rest of them in flats, it is our business and we do not dress up for no man, no woman, nobody other than ourselves.

1. Deanna

May 14, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I really love this entry. Its confident and stylish with humor. Its nice to be at an age where you wear something just because you enjoy it not for others. Thanks for the post Ms. Priamos.

• Lupe G.

May 15, 2012 at 9:25 am

I love this! I’m 36 and wear black Converses.
      They look good on me and I like them. No way will
      I wear sensible shoes and cut my hair like
      a cotton ball like some ladies who think they have
      to look old.

May 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Yes, no need for your hair to look like a Johnson & Johnson product.
        Thanks Lupe and Deanna for commenting.

• Miles

May 23, 2012 at 10:42 am

Hysterical tone throughout! I enjoyed your thoughts on vanity and style!

All best,

Miles

• Evan

May 24, 2012 at 11:04 am

You have a point, Ms. Priamos. I’d prefer the company of a woman in a great pair of heels than one with a forehead made out of steel.

• Veronica

June 2, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I wouldn’t call it vanity, exactly. I think it’s okay if people take care of their looks. Is that so vain?

• Sunday Times Book Reader

June 14, 2012 at 10:09 am

Very entertaining piece! We enjoyed this one a lot.

• Alicia

June 27, 2012 at 10:35 am

This was so fun and clever! Women and their shoes should never be separated.

2. Valerie

May 2, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I met you tonight at the MFA event with Andrew from the Santa Monica Review. And I commented on your shoes to Evren– how I admired your beautiful shoes. This is my first time reading your website and I was pleasantly surprised to find them. We had a good laugh.

May 3, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Hi Valerie,

Thanks for reading my blog! As Evren will no doubt witness for the duration of the quarter, I do indeed have more than one pair of Michael Kors footwear.

It was great meeting you, by the way.