Some of my favorite lines in literature…

08 Sep

I never grew up, but I got old.

– A Yellow Raft in Blue Water, Michael Dorris

“‘The marvellous thing is that it’s painless,'” he said, “‘That’s how you know when it starts.'”

– “The Snows of Kilimanjaro,” Ernest Hemingway

The changes began on a Wednesday, miercoles, the day that sounds like miracles.

– The Speed of Light, Elizabeth Rosner

“Now I can come down..”¬† And he did, right into the center of the yellow net that glowed in the evening’s edge like an overgrown halo.

– “The Conversion of the Jews,” Philip Roth

The last time my father calls is shortly before the anniversary of his disbarment to tell me he’s just cheated death.

– The Shyster’s Daughter

1. Lupe G.

September 8, 2011 at 10:46 am

I love these lines too! I can’t wait to read your memoir next year. Where does that line appear? Sounds like the opening line I hope.

September 8, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Hi, Lupe. Yes, it’s the opening line of my memoir. Thanks so much for being a constant reader of my blog.

2. Monica

September 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I LOVE the Hemingway one. Some of my favorites lines come from the Jane Austen novels. Thanks for sharing your favorites.

September 8, 2011 at 3:34 pm

If I had to choose my favorite short story it would be Hemingway’s “Snows” simply because it has everything in it – insight, love, adventure, recklessness, regret. And you’re right about Jane Austen. Her novels last for a reason.

3. Steve

September 8, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Looking forward to The Shyster’s Daughter. The quote from your memoir really grabs you right off.

September 8, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Thanks, Steve. Shyster is coming out next Spring and I’m very excited about it. I’ll post the cover soon.

4. Miles

September 11, 2011 at 8:05 am

Hemingway and Roth are favorites of mine. The quote from your memoir is loaded with tension and promise. I will look for your memoir when it appears next Spring.

All best,

Miles

September 11, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Thanks, Miles! You’ll have to let me know what you think of the book when it’s out. I appreciate you being a committed reader of my blog.

• Josephina

September 12, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I’m embarassed to say I’ve only heard of Hemingway and hadn’t read that story. I will pick it up at the library. I love the
        line in your book! I want to know what happened to your dad.

September 13, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Hi, Josephina,

I just posted Etruscan’s catalog that has a summary of Shyster in it
          under the section titled “What’s Next”. Please check it out!

Paula

• Josephina

September 13, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Thanks! It sounds so mysterious!

• Ethan

September 14, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I enjoyed reading these lines, most of all yours. I will look forward to your memoir and whatever blog entries you will be posting in the future.

September 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I appreciate you reading, Ethan.

5. Travis

October 10, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I’m a new reader, but I, too, enjoyed the lines. I will have to get a copy of Dorris’ book. He’s known in literature for all the wrong reasons. Will look for your memoir next year. I read the press’ catalog. I was sold at detective memoir…

October 17, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Thanks so much, Travis! I read that particular book of Dorris’s back in college. I try and read writers for their writing, period.

• Ashley

October 31, 2011 at 12:30 pm

What an awesome opening line! Can’t wait to read your memoir! I saw it up on Amazon already!