Please Don’t Kill My Mother, President Obama…with Your New Health Care Program

23 Jan

As of this month, my mother who is on a fixed income can no longer afford her insulin shots.  They now cost close to thirty times the amount she’s used to paying.  A woman who valiantly survived and fought back from two strokes with relative injury now isn’t sure where she’ll scrape together the money necessary to also pay for the Plavix that keeps her arteries open.  If the government is lucky, without these medications, she will simply die.  If not, she’ll cost the state, she’ll cost the country hundreds of thousands of dollars when she lapses into an inevitable diabetic coma.  She is but one victim of President Obama’s 500 billion dollar “slash the waste” motto from Medicare.

There are many others suffering from these deep cuts that are just a part of patch working a new health care system for those who don’t have one.  Cadillac plans are also being hit.  A professional friend of mine who is a single mother, the head of her family and has worked all of her life at a good paying state job, is actually contemplating going without the life saving medication that will prevent her from having another heart attack.   Who will provide for her family if God forbid something happens to her?  The average tax payer who is barely in the black might just have to pick up the tab.

My husband’s stomach medication that used to cost fifteen dollars is as of the first of the year over a hundred.  He’s now doubling up on an over-the-counter substitute, not to mention doubling over from the cramping.  Another friend’s father who suffered damage to his shoulder and is on permanent disability must take Advil instead of a stronger, more pricey prescription pain medication.  As a consequence, he has forever lost a good night’s rest.

This is not to say that President Obama’s health care program isn’t well-meaning.  Minus our grand debt to China, we are a wealthy nation that should logically provide adequate medical services to its citizens that go beyond the emergency room.  I get that.  What the government who passed an over two thousand pages long bill no one cops to actually having read doesn’t understand is that by forcing Medicare and private health insurances to raise their costs, they are doing more than decreasing a good, hardworking American’s quality of life.  They are systematically killing off many of our nation’s citizens.

1. Renalda

January 23, 2011 at 4:38 pm

What a powerful little piece on the destructiveness of a poorly planned program. Thanks for posting. My Uncle can’t afford his monthly meds either. He’s on Medicare too.

• the internets

January 23, 2011 at 4:48 pm

im guessing the problem only arose after president obama took office. way to pass the buck and not look at the larger systemic causes.

• Sunday Times Book Reader

January 23, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Wow. What is with the anger and the bad grammar “internets”? It’s an informative little piece on the problems of the new health care system. If you work for a living and you have private health care and/or Medicare you’ll see that cuts and hikes are being made that have EVERYTHING to do with Obama’s plan.

• Blogs

January 24, 2011 at 10:34 am

The internets: Obama gets the so called ‘buck” because HE is the one who put into effect a poorly designed plan that was sold to the public to reduce costs and be more efficient. Priamos is only pointing out the fact that the plan is neither cost effective nor efficient. Only parts of it have been put into effect this month. Wait until the waves hits you my friend. The larger causes will become your problem too.

• Cindy

January 24, 2011 at 10:37 am

Hi Paula. Thank you for this informative peace. I really agree with you! I love the passion in your writing. I think many of us are feeling that way. Thanks for your voice on this issue.

2. Bethany W.

January 24, 2011 at 8:25 pm

An informative look at the new dangers of health care in this country. I hear the Republicans are knocking out some Social Security too.
    No one seems to be on the hard working American’s side.

January 25, 2011 at 7:14 am

I’ve heard that as well. Not a practical idea to raise costs and then take money away from the people who need it most to pay their bills. I’m a registered Independent and have heard somewhere that so are more than thirty percent of the country. Should be telling both sides something.

• Josephina

January 25, 2011 at 9:16 am

I have changed to a independent too. Nobody is looking out for me or my family. Those politicians need to work for my vote. Thanks for posting this. It has me worried for all of my relatives though.

• Miles

January 25, 2011 at 10:06 am

I’m so sorry your mother is facing such a dilemma, Paula. I am one of the fortunate ones who makes more than my fair share in my line of work. However, I don’t find it fair that the people who ironically need the most assistance are now the ones who are suffering under the new health care system.

• Arctic Chiller

January 25, 2011 at 11:11 am

Health care costs are in limbo. Private insurances are freaking out and unduly raising costs. Where is anybody to regulate them?

• Ethan

January 25, 2011 at 11:51 am

A writer with guts and ambitions of using her words to shed light on important issues? Please go back where you came from. Kidding…just kidding. I’ll share this piece with my friends and family who are already worried about the economy.

3. Roger

January 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I am on Medicare and Social Security because of a disability. They have raised my Medicare Supplement by $28.00 due to my age.

I think that Social Security cuts are goingt to be coming from the Obama administration because of Obama Care. However, the Rebulicans do want to make cuts at some point but I think that their big thing is to raise the retirement age to about 70 years old.

My father who is on a Medicare Supplement, said his went up 15.00. Again, the supplement letter says they are raising costs based on age. I’m currently in a more expensive age bracket than my Dad who is 69.

All the private insurance companies are panicing over the Obama care. They are not about to get screwed with this high costing Obama Care, so they screw us more.

Just goes to show you cannot put in a plan of radical socialism into a freemarket-capitalistic government setting.

Thanks for the great blog post.

• Laurie

January 27, 2011 at 9:38 am

Those numbers are disturbing. The government must’ve foreseen private insurance companies panicking about the new health care hikes. Government should be ashamed of themselves for raising Medicare. Ihope your mother is okay.

• Diego

February 3, 2011 at 3:21 pm

To Roger: you’re forgetting the people who are getting screwed, more like penalized if they don’t want to buy healthcare. I heard from my brother-in-law that some companies are taking the penalty for not getting healthcare for their employees because it’s cheaper than providing it.