Doggies, not Diapers…and Dog Killer Michael Vick

01 Oct

Dog BoneI was once at an upscale dinner party when a chatty elderly woman stopped me so that she could show me her “beautiful babies.”  Patiently I waited while she dug inside her purse, assuming she was going to retrieve school pictures of her sweet, freckled grandchildren.  Instead she pulled out a series of professional shots, framed in cardboard with the photographer’s stamped signature on it, of two Siamese cats stretching up a scratching post.  I looked at her, then at them.  I was speechless.  They were skinny.  They were ordinary.  They’re the kind of animals that like to get it on in bushes.  They were, well, just cats.  I passed back her pictures, passing this strange encounter off as having actually met a real life old cat lady.

While I may not keep black and white glossies of my pet dogs on my person, a childless neighbor couple down the street refer to me as Auntie Paula to their two adorable Australian Shepherds that I dog sit and just the other day at the groomer’s the owner reassured my little Bailey through her cage not to worry,  “Mama’s here to pick you up.”  Some of my friends with kids of their own speak about their pets so freely and lovingly as they do their own children that I wonder if the table next to us at lunch can differentiate which story is about the toddler or the toy poodle.  Recently in New York there was a public outcry by dog owners demanding a clear delineation in a local park  marking the area for dogs to roam from where children are allowed to play.

Generally people may disagree on a lot of things such as race and politics or even if a convicted murderer is in fact guilty, but most of society will agree that a sick man like Michael Vick, who not only profited from his dogs fighting but strangled them with his bare hands and a nylon rope and buried them in the backyard when they were no longer any use to him, deserved his public lashing and prison time.  During his trial he was jeered when he came in and out of court.  And, after having served his sentence, he may’ve finally gotten back in the game of football yet he’s still hearing the disapproving boos from fans in the stadium.  He’s still wearing the invisible letters DK for dog killer on his jersey.  There is even a bestselling book “The Lost Dogs” by Jim Gorant detailing what happened to the remaining Pit Bulls Vick didn’t get to snuff out.

We see dogs and pets of all kind as members of our family. We give them human names.  Think of the popular pet memoirs “Dewey” and “Marley and Me”.  In many ways we treat them as small children, helpless and happy, that need the utmost care.  Even in our soft society of second chances, Michael Vick should’ve thought a little harder before he committed the cold equivalence of homicide on man’s best friend.

1. Mary Ann

October 2, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Thanks for this post. It is so true that our pets mean the world to us and they truly are part of the family. It takes a particularly kind of sick and cruel person to torture animals. Its always so shocking when you hear about the reality of it going on.

• Josefina

October 3, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I agree. Michael vick should be kicked out of sports for life for what he did.

• Terese W.

October 14, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Parts of this piece made me laugh so hard. Other parts made me so mad.
        Thanks for loving dogs so much!

• I Love Lucy Fan

November 4, 2010 at 9:17 am

I loved the book Dewey! After reading this, though, you make me want to go and buy a little puppy!

2. David R.

December 1, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Hysterical! I love dogs too and view them as part of my family.

3. S.

December 18, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I believe that Michael Vick is the #1 quarterback in the game no matter the other issues.

December 19, 2010 at 9:52 am

Randall Cunningham still beats Vick the DK in terms of records. And the “issues” you are referring to are piles and piles of dead dogs that were violently snuffed out at the hands of that lowlife.

• jgp

January 8, 2011 at 6:13 pm

michael vick has to live with the fact that he murdered his dogs. I believe that if a sane man can physically put his hands around any breathing thing taking its life that he is capable of any violent act at any time in the future. Perhaps that is what makes him a good football player. Have you looked at how violent the sport has become. The players get on the field and become gladiators knowing that they are deliberately going for the opponents body to stop them in their tracks. The players justify their actions. They deliberately go for their opponents vulnerable points to cause them the most pain and injury possible. Vick destroyed his dogs because they were no longer making him money. What becomes of the ordinary football player that becomes so injured that he can no longer make money for the franchise?
        Perhaps Vick should give this a thought and give thanks that the franchise is not in the same business he was in.

4. David

January 27, 2011 at 1:53 pm

That SOB doesn’t deserve a new endorsement deal. Whatever press it gets will be short-lived. A waste of money. Some technology business, I hear just looking to cash in on his infamy. I hope they realize besides the president nobody forgives that no good heartless dog killer.

5. Ramone Simmons

May 19, 2011 at 4:06 pm

So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on anything especially such a disturbing subject. I thank you for your thoughtfulness on the web! Will look at for your memoir next year.